Thursday, October 25, 2007

There's no place like home!

What a horrible and tragic week it has been for San Diegans. These fires are causing such devastation...it is just unbelievable to me. We left our home Monday morning. We were so lucky to find a pet friendly hotel downtown. We stayed until the evacuation order was lifted on Wednesday afternoon. I have never been so thankful to come home!

When we came home, here is what we saw....


...taken from my backyard looking toward the house...



...one of the multiples piles of ash...



...our pool...


In all the rush of leaving... I only brought one knitting project with me... a pr of socks. I had no time to knit... wish I could have, it would have brought me comfort.

All I can say is that I am so thankful for my home, my family's safety, and all the firefighters who have been working day and night to stop this horrific fire. It takes a tragedy like this to really put your life in perspective! Tonight I hope you can take a moment to look around your home... and think about how truly blessed your are!

4 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

Hi! I saw your post on Ravelry -- my backyard looks just like that. It's been scary here, no? I'm so glad you made it home all right -- but I know what you mean about knitting. I don't think I would have made it through this week without the sweater I'm working on!

Holly said...

Hi, I saw your post on Ravelry as well. Mon-Weds. my sister was here from San Diego. Now, we're watching the OC fire. I don't think it's going to get close enough, but it really has been a nerve wracking week, and definitely one for giving thanks!

Tuulia said...

oh yuck! Our backyard was bad but not that bad when we came home. I'm glad your house is ok!

Pineapple Princess said...

So glad your house is OK!!!